What to do in the 2nd trimester of pregnancy.
Woohoo! You made it to the 2nd trimester! The 1st trimester is filled with morning sickness and fatigue… yuck! But, hopefully now you are starting to get your energy back, and your morning sickness has subsided! I pretty much laid in my bed or on the couch for my entire 1st trimester. It was awful! But, all that is behind me, and now I feel like I can
Why do you need a checklist?
I guess you don’t actually NEED a checklist, but I love having one! It helps me get organized, and focus on what needs to get done before the baby arrives. Plus, it helps keep you occupied when you are waiting on baby’s due date!! Some days pregnancy can feel like it just drags on and on. (I literally felt like the 1st trimester would never end!) But, it actually goes by much quicker than you think. (Just wait till baby gets here… you’ll see! Enjoy those kicks and rolls while you can!)
2nd Trimester Checklist
Alright! Let’s get to it. Here are a few things that you can be doing in your second trimester.
- Make an appointment for your anatomy scan! (The most exciting part of the second trimester! Finding out the sex of your baby!) You can schedule one between 18- 20 weeks. My doctor tries to do them around 20 weeks.
- Have a Gender Reveal party. I have personally never had one, but I have been to some really cute parties before! If it’s your thing, schedule a day to get your party on!
- Buy some maternity clothes! It’s time to make a wardrobe change! Invest in some good staple maternity items . You’ll want to be comfortable for the next several months!
- Pick your baby’s name! This can be both fun and stressful! lol! My husband and I have the hardest time agreeing on baby names, so we start really early to make sure we have one by the due date!
- Start a baby registry. I like to start my registry once I find out the sex of the baby. That way I can add gender specific clothing items and bedding! (Amazon Baby registry gives you a FREE baby box when you register and make a $10 purchase off your registry! I’m really excited to get mine!)
- Go on a date with your husband! This is a good time to go on a date with your husband! You will likely have more energy to do something fun! So take advantage of it!
- Start researching birthing classes. If you plan on taking a birthing class, do some research to see when you will need to register. You may even end up taking a course or two while in your second trimester!
- Start buying diapers. Whether you are using cloth or disposables, this is a good time to start stocking up and creating your stash! I have personally used both cloth and disposables. For cloth I would recommend making purchases when you can, and take advantages of sales! When you are using disposable diapers, I would suggest buying a pack or two per paycheck or even a box. But make sure you don’t buy too many of one size. Stick to a box or two for each size until baby gets here. Some babies won’t stay in a size for very long. Mine shot right through diaper sizes for the first 6 months!
- Plan your baby shower. Most likely someone will be throwing your baby shower for you, but this is a good time to get the dates settled.
- Do some organizing. In your 3rd trimester you will probably feel like nesting, and organizing your whole home. But, just in case you don’t, the 2nd trimester is a good time to get some big projects out of the way.
- Start working on your nursery. Now that you know what baby is, you can start painting the nursery, and putting everything together! If you won’t have a nursery (like me) you can start making room for baby in your home! I have been completely purging my house of things we don’t need so I can make room for #5!
- Get some exercise! Make it a point to do some sort of exercise everyday. Anything from walking outside to prenatal yoga on YouTube. Whatever you feel up to doing. (And don’t forget those kegels!)
- Take a babymoon. You don’t have to go far, but since travelling isn’t always a good idea in the 3rd trimester this is the time to do it.
- Look for a pediatrician. If you don’t already have one in mind, start looking around for a good pediatrician in your area. You can ask friends for suggestions!
- Take a tour of your hospital. Take a tour of the hospital you will be giving birth in. We have 2 options in our area. If that is the case for you as well, take a tour of both. See which labor/maternity ward you like best before making any final decisions.
Grab this list in a printable form here: 2nd Trimester Checklist!
Congrats again on your precious little baby on the way! Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy!
If you have anymore suggestions for the checklist. Leave them in the comments below!